Monday, November 2, 2020

Incentivizing mask wearing

I want to first present a given or ask you to make a stipulation.  This may or may not be true; just think of it as a boundary condition that allows me to get to my main point later on.  

Let's assume that mask wearing has a real effect on the spread of Covid-19.  I don't know whether that's true or not and I don't care, at least not for the purpose of this thought experiment.  Just for the hell of it, let's assume that wearing a mask of some sort will reduce Covid-19 spreading by X amount.

If that's true, what's my incentive to wear a mask?  Do I have any incentive at all to help out a bunch of strangers on the street by wearing one?  Right now at best, there are only negative incentives.  That is, in some places and in some cases I will be punished for NOT wearing a mask, either by being denied entry somewhere or maybe being given a ticket (as proposed in Athens, Georgia).  To my best knowledge, there is NO positive incentive to wear masks.

Why not?  If it's such a damned good idea, rather than punish me for not doing so, why not reward me for voluntary compliance?  I'm thinking some sort of cash reward, or a tax break, or a tax refund or something, anything really, that tells me that mask wearing is important enough to be rewarded.  Because right now, that's not the case.

You say mask wearing is important?  Prove it to me by incentivizing me to do it.  Until that happens, I think mask mandates are proof that tyranny runs rampant as our elected officials push to see what they can get away with.  If, like me, you've come to view mask wearing in public as useless virtue signaling, ask yourself if you'd change your mind if instead of punishment, you were rewarded for wearing a mask.  Would you do it then?  Personally, I'll tell you that I can't be threatened into wearing a mask, but maybe I can be bribed.  


No comments:

Blog Archive