Friday, April 24, 2020

Risk assessment part 5

Picking up from Part 4, here's a few more selected emails I've sent to friends regarding the pandemic.

April 13, 2020


As a counterpoint of sorts, read the article linked above.  I agree that a total economic shutdown is a bad idea, but I do support social distancing, not because of the risk to myself, but because of the risk to others more vulnerable than me.  I don't think the author of the American Thinker article really considers that.  This article from Outside Online is a thoughtful response.

=========

April 14, 2020

As for legit data, I'll go back to what I said weeks ago: the only thing that matters is deaths.  Yes, I know there's some controversy over dying with versus dying of, but it's still the closest thing to impartial that we have.  In Georgia it looks like the old and infirm are hit hard and sadly we're finding out that a lot, and I mean an awful lot, of nursing homes have this stuff spreading in them.  Just around here we have cases in Greensboro and Union Point at three different facilities.  Clarke County's deaths are largely old people in nursing homes.
 
==========
 
April 17, 2020
 
I think I basically agree with what's outlined in this short article, but I'm leery of the numbers since they're mostly relying on China data.  Regardless, the truth is that the virus is not going to disappear anytime soon, so how do we live with it in the two or three years it'll take to develop a vaccine?  We'll have to abandon the current lockdown, either officially or in large incidents of civil disobedience.  I'd rather do it officially to avoid hurting vulnerable populations.

Link is below.

 
=========
 
April 18, 2020
 
Exactly what I see in the data and exactly what I saw them do today - drop it from 3.6k deaths in Georgia to 1.7k deaths.  Story linked below, but the parts that match what I've been saying: "...many locations are now predicted to have longer peaks and are taking longer to move down the epidemic curve to zero death..."

This is what I have been saying the data for Georgia shows.  What they say is a longer peak is what I see as a plateau, same thing.  And I said that the downward curve would be different from the upward curve.  Now they're saying it too, but I said it first.

The fact that they've changed it so much means their model is pretty poor as a source for policy decisions, and that I'm right when I say look at the deaths and only the deaths.  Predictions have been really shit, while me looking at the data day to day has presented a clearer picture.  It's scary how many smart people are only now coming around to what I've been seeing for a while.  Maybe they're not so smart.
========
 
April 20, 2020
 
From a paper I can barely understand that's highly critical of all these models and estimates there's this.  I've underlined the parts that bolster my argument that what I'm looking at with my little bit of real world practical data analysis from an industrial setting is probably a good way to deal with all this noisy and incomplete data.  I've left out major chunks of mostly math to focus on the implications.

...Estimating R from noisy real-world data when you don’t know the underlying model is fundamentally difficult...often be badly (and confidently) wrong about that because it fails to account for how the confirmed count data it’s based on is noisy enough to be mostly garbage. (Many serious modelers have given up on case counts and just model death counts.)

...Digging into the data and the math, you can see that a few days of falling case counts will make the system confident of a very low R, and a few days of rising counts will make it confident of a very high one, but we know from other sources that both can and do happen due to changes in test and test processing availability. (There are additional serious methodological problems with rt.live, but trying to nowcast R from observed case counts is already garbage-in so will be garbage-out.)
 
...it’s just figuring out whether what you’re observing is growing or shrinking. Many folks would actually be better off not trying to forecast R and just looking carefully at whether they believe the thing they’re observing is growing or shrinking and how quickly."
 
And since that's what I've been doing, I've probably got as good a handle on the trends as anybody else, and better than some who don't know what they don't know.  I'm just concentrating on the death counts and not trying to estimate anything at all about the underlying mechanics (since I don't know how), and looking at the shape of the data, techniques I've used in industrial settings to make decisions in the absence of complete data.
 
========
 
April 21, 2020
 
That was an excellent summary.  Points two and three I especially agree with wholeheartedly: what happens in the second wave?  And what are we going to do about it?

The virus is here.  It's not going away.  The ball is in our court; what's our next move?  I hope we eventually stumble into doing what we probably should have done from the start: go all in on protecting our vulnerable folks better than we have so far, while everybody else takes reasonable precautions and gets on with their lives.
 
======
 
April 23, 2020
 
Not at all surprised by this, other than the fact that it was nearly universal.  This says our quarantine and stay home measures should be a lot more tightly focused on people who are obese, diabetic, elderly or otherwise prone to sickness.  The rest of us should stay away from those people we can hurt by infecting them, but if we're otherwise healthy, we can probably survive the virus. 

This gets back to that variolation proposal where we incentivize younger and stronger populations to catch the virus under the assumption that each person who does and survives it protects something like 3 other people.  So as Georgia opens up, we'll keep in mind who we're coming in contact with and continue to limit exposure to the elderly and sickly.  Hopefully that will work to knock the virus down by denying it hosts eventually.
========
 
 

No comments:

Blog Archive