Saturday, August 29, 2020

Thanks for the censorship

 In response to someone (who I assume is an employee of the Postal Service) covering up a mural in the local Post Office that's been in place since something like the 1930s, I'm writing this open letter to the editor of the local paper:

Dear Mr. Badie,

I want to applaud you for covering up the mural in the Greensboro Post Office and urge that you pay no attention to the whining complaints of people you no doubt consider to be mere Untermensch.  It's about time somebody started censoring our public artworks.  However, you didn't go far enough; there's a lot more you need to cover over. In particular, I want you to censor the following:

The Greene County Library - This will admittedly be a little difficult, since the library has been closed for months to keep Covid-19 away, but you need to cover up - or possibly burn - some of the books in there just in case the library might open up in the future.  There are too many outdated ideas on those sneaky shelves that people don't need to see.  Besides, as an aspiring author myself, if you get rid of somebody else's book, maybe I can sell a few copies of my own.

The Iron Horse - Erected against the wishes of all who love animals, this statue makes a mockery of horses everywhere, who just want to roam free.  The Iron Horse, in contrast, stands forever trapped in cement, surrounded by a cruel fence.  More to the point, the horse has nothing covering his nether regions.  You can see everything through there.  I know.  I've looked.  Nobody wants to see a horse's ass in Greene County.  I'm sure you can understand that.

The Old Gaol - Okay, this one should be obvious.  Those old settlers didn't even spell "jail" right.  If they can't spell any better than that, nobody needs to see their old building.  Having that thing around makes us all look like hicks who failed spelling in school.  

In closing, I want to thank you again for your outsider's viewpoint and your compassionate use of censorship, and I wish you well in your mission to wipe away the past that we might never learn from it again.

No comments:

Blog Archive