Sunday, December 8, 2019

MTN 1.3 wide for a lightweight hammock

This bit is cross-posted from my review over at Ripstop by the Roll's website

My order of 4 yards of MTN 1.3 wide arrived in a timely manner. This is a light, slick fabric with just the right amount of stretch to be comfortable for my 155 pounds. To sew it, I used a teflon foot on the Singer Heavy Duty and that made the job much, much easier.

The finished product was exactly what I was aiming for. I wanted a hammock just a smidge under 11 feet, and it came out 10 feet 10 inches on the dot, which was perfect. Generous hemming gave me a width of 62.75 inches, within a quarter inch of the 63 I was aiming for. More skilled sewers could certainly use a smaller hem and make a wider hammock with this fabric if needed.

The finished product weighs exactly 10 ounces, including the two amsteel end loops and the zingit ridgeline. I'll make a stuff sack out of the left over material, so I expect the weight with stuff sack will be a few tenths over 10 ounces, which is outstanding for such a wide fabric.

No comments:

Blog Archive